We value your privacy.
This Notice describes how we protect, collect, use, and share customer information.
Customer information means all nonpublic information related to an identified individual, which is sometimes called personally identifiable information. Customer information does not include anonymized data or de-identified data, which do not identify an individual.
–Our Privacy Principles
- We do not sell customer information.
- We do not allow those who are doing business on our behalf to use our customer information for their own marketing purposes.
- We contractually require any person or organization providing products or services on our behalf to our customer’s information.
- We do not share customer medical information between SCA unless:
- You expressly authorize it; or
- It is permitted or required by law; or
- Your agreement with us permits us to do so.
- We may share customer information and permit others to use that information if you give us your consent, it is necessary to complete a transaction you request, or it is otherwise permitted by law.
- We handle information about former and prospective customers the same as existing customers.
–We Protect Customer Information
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect customer information and to comply with federal and state laws. In addition, we review our policies and practices, monitor our computer networks, and test the strength of our security.
We retain customer information for legal, auditing, regulatory, and business purposes.
–Customer Information We Collect
We collect customer information in different ways. For example, we gather information from:
- Applications and other forms related to our products and thorough conversations with SCA representatives, including our agents.
- Use of our website, our mobile sites and applications, our social media sites and applications, and interactions with our online advertisements.
- Transactions or experiences with us, such as payments, underwriting, and claims.
- Within SCA Non-company parties, including consumer reporting agencies that provide us with information such as driving records, claim histories, and credit information.
–How We Use Customer Information
We use customer information, sometimes including consumer report information, to do things such as:
- Underwrite and rate your policies and accounts.
- Process your clients.
- Protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions.
- Provide proper billing.
- Confirm your identity and service your policies and accounts.
- Enhance your customer experience and improve our products and services.
- Offer you other insurance and financial services products.
- Develop and offer new products and services.
- Develop either anonymized data or de-identified data by making reasonable efforts to remove personally identifiable information so the information is no longer customer information. We develop this data for certain purposes, such as analysis to understand more about our customers and our industry, or for other commercial purposes as permitted by law. We share and use this data within SCA with third party service providers, or with other unaffiliated entities.
- Perform other activities as required or permitted by law.
–How We Share Customer Information.
We share customer information, including information about our transactions with you (such as payments)(and experiences with you (such as claims within the SCA and with our agents and employees to help meet your product and service needs. We share customer information inside or outside our family of companies.
- For our everyday business purposes, for public policy purposes, and as permitted (such as with consent or as necessary to complete a transaction you request) or required by law.
- As needed, to handle your claim. For example, we may share name, address, and coverage information with third parties, such as medical providers or employers who may be involved with your claim.
- With consumer reporting agencies, for example, during the underwriting process.
- In connection with a proposed or actual sale, merger, transfer, or exchange of all or a portion of our business or operating unit.
- With companies that perform marketing or other services for us or with whom we have joint marketing agreements. These agreements allow us to provide a broader selection of insurance and financial products to you.
- As needed, to protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions and in connection with the investigation, establishment, and defense of legal rights.
–To Limit the Sharing of Customer Information Within SCA
We share customer information within our family of companies so, for example, we do not have to ask you for the same information again. If you prefer to limit sharing information such as your driving record, claim history with other companies, and credit information, call us at 248-348-8000 to let us know of your preference. Please note, your choice:
- Will apply to joint policyholders or account holders on shared policies and accounts.
- Does not limit SCA from sharing certain customer information about your transactions or experiences with us for our everyday business purposes or for public policy purposes.
- Does not limit SCA from sharing customer information in the event of a transfer, between SCA, of all or a portion of a line of business.
If you are an existing customer and have already told us your customer information sharing preference, no action is needed unless you want to change your preference.
–Information for Internet, Mobile, and Social Media Users
In addition to the information collection and sharing practices described above, SCA’s website properties and mobile applications may use common tracking technologies like browser cookies, “Local Shared Objects” (such as “Flash” cookies), analytical tools, device IDs, or other technologies. We also collect certain technical information about the device you use to access our site or services, such as user-agent, time stamp, hardware type, language and time zone settings, IP address, OS type and version, and installed fonts. Our mobile and social media applications will contain a statement describing what information is collected from your use of that particular application. Currently, we do not support the necessary technology to respond to Web browser “do not track” signals or other, comparable mechanisms.
–Other Important Information
Please contact us for name/address changes or policy/coverage questions.
You may contact us with questions about this Notice by:
- Writing us at:
P. O. Box 6708
Greenville, SC 29606
Last updated: 9/19